About Me

My photo
Sealand
Pretty much enjoin' life right about now. I have too many hobbies than there are hours in the day for. God knows I need a blog to just type out all sorts of things for hours now too. I really like drawing. Making movies is what I hope to do for a career!

5.26.2009

Persepolis Blog Ni.

I reallyyyy don't want to do this right now.
and i have had this window up for 2 hours now, and still have to read half of persepolis.
I mean- I AM RESPONSIBLE AND YOU DID NOT HEAR THAT ERIN
i like caps lock today...


QUESTION 5
In an Associated Press review, Satrapi said, "The only thing I hop is that people will read my book and see this abstacting thing, this Axis of Evil, is made up of individuals with lives and hopes. " And in her introduction to Persepolis, she explains that she wrote this book to show that Iran is not only a country of "fundamentalism, fanaticism, and terrorism." How does Satrapi go about challenging this myth? How does Persepolis dispel or confirm your views on Iran? In what ways does reading this book deepen your understanding and knowledge of Iran, and the current situation in Iraq?

Firstly, I would like to say that knowing a lot about foreign affairs has never been my forte. Since being a child in America, I have been fed that is right, fed, things that I should know. My main example I am going to compare all this to is what I know about WWII.
So. I know nothing about Iran. Nope. Never been given the opportunity to learn about it either. I suppose there are just too many countries to know everything about, more than a few snippits here and there about what the uneducated pubilc knows. Or, thinks they know. This graphic novel has helped me a lot to better understand what went on in Iran. I had no idea there even was a war going on like this in that country, which is just like how it was with me and WWII. I just thought it was the like, Nazis killing jews. America thought that was uncool, and beat them up. And somehow Japan got bombed around that time by us-no clue why.
NOW however. I can tell you about WWII and about the stuff that went down in Iran. Why you may ask? Because comics. COMICS yes. I have learned more history from comics than anything else. Which is sad.
Does this make me understand more about Iraq? I do believe so. I mean, everyone fhas issues over the different types of one single religon. People have been killing people over this for as long as religon has exsitsed.


QUESTION 7
I believe that without enjoying life, it is impossible to get through it. My sole purpose in life right about now is to make myeself, and those around me happy. Infact, whatever I do for a career, i want to know that somehow my work makes people smile.
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THE ISSUES THAT THIS SITE HAS WITH BOLDING AND ITALICISING?
Anyway, in Persepolis, Marji is always making up new games. New games that are based off whatever horrific story that has recently been told to her, in a way that can make the good times bad. It is like "ring around the rosey", a game about children running around graves and falling down dead with disease! Depressing! Horrific! Terrible! Yet, I did not even know this until this past year. I always thought it was a stupid game with no point anyways...
It is pretty funny to me all of Marji's silly games, because I know i would totally be the one to go around and play them with her in the middle of a war. These scenes are relevant to the story as a whole because they show more than just facts off a page. they show the daily life of people-and i am not going to start quoting my own lines from our town here.

Question 14
Skipping a few here...
I believe that without people telling stories about what has happened, there would be no history to learn from and remember. How do you think some urban legends like the tooth fairy started? Freaking parents passing it down to their kids, and to their kids and their kids. Story telling is an important part of the world today, and being able to put it down on paper is a way to preserve it forever. Now, actually painting pictures with more than words, makes it easy for a story to reach the masses.I believe that a graphic novel was a good choice to put this story in, for it makes it interesting and easy to understand. Personally, I don't know how many people would like to just read a book on the irania revolution... The expressions and pictures just make everything so much easier to relate to in words. Even if the characters are very stylized, and not as realistic as they could be,


No comments:

Post a Comment